Fittler has named his 21-man squad for 2020’s State of Origin Game 2 in Sydney.
Brydens Lawyers NSW Blues captain Boyd Cordner has today ruled himself out of the 2020 Ampol State of Origin Series.
“As hard as it was, it is the right call based on the fact that I have had a few knocks this year,” said Cordner, 28.
“I feel really good after Wednesday’s game; I’ve pulled up fine. I have no concerns about the knock in Game One. I passed the HIA test and was happy to return to the field.
“The decision is more precautionary than anything. It has been a big year and now I can just rest up and relax with a good break coming up. I will be leaving camp today.”
NSW Rugby League Chief Executive David Trodden said the organisation and everyone involved with the Brydens Lawyers NSW Blues were fully supportive of Cordner’s decision to miss the remaining two games of the Origin series.
“The welfare of our players is always of the utmost importance in our minds,” Trodden said.
“Boyd’s decision after consulting with team doctor Nathan Gibbs and coach Brad Fittler, is the appropriate one and we fully support him and wish him a restful off-season.”
Brydens Lawyers NSW Blues coach Brad Fittler has today named his 21-man squad for Game Two of the Ampol State of Origin series at ANZ Stadium on Wednesday 11 November.
James Tedesco has taken over as captain after Boyd Cordner made the decision to leave camp following a knock in Game One in Adelaide. Cody Walker has been named at five-eighth, Angus Crichton will start in the second row for Cordner and Payne Haas will start at prop.
Dale Finucane returns to the team via the bench after playing in last year’s series, while Nathan Brown and Issah Yeo are in line to make their debuts for the Brydens Lawyers NSW Blues.
The squad returned to camp at the Pullman Magenta Shores Resort yesterday and will train at Morry Breen Oval, Wallarah Road, Kanwal on Saturday 7 November.
New South Wales vs Queensland – Ampol State of Origin, Game Two
Wednesday 11 November, ANZ Stadium
Brydens Lawyers NSW Blues
- James Tedesco (c) (Sydney Roosters)
- Daniel Tupou (Sydney Roosters)
- Clint Gutherson (Parramatta Eels)
- Jack Wighton (Canberra Raiders)
- Josh Addo-Carr (Melbourne Storm)
- Cody Walker (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
- Nathan Cleary (Penrith Panthers)
- Daniel Saifiti (Newcastle Knights)
- Damien Cook (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
- Payne Haas (Brisbane Broncos)
- Angus Crichton (Sydney Roosters)
- Tyson Frizell (St George Illawarra Dragons)
- Jake Trbojevic (Manly Warringah Sea Eagles)
- Dale Finucane (Melbourne Storm)
- Junior Paulo (Parramatta Eels)
- Nathan Brown (Parramatta Eels)
- Isaah Yeo (Penrith Panthers)
- Luke Keary (Sydney Roosters)
- Reagan Campbell-Gillard (Parramatta Eels)
- Cameron McInnes (St George Illawarra Dragons)
- Stephen Crichton (Penrith Panthers)