Rugby League Ireland have announced their squad for the upcoming World Cup and there is an exciting look to the squad which has a mix of seasoned Irish internationals, previous members of the squad, domestic players and new recruits.
Mark Aston has kept the core squad together that have been a part of the last few European Championships and the players that qualified for the tournament last Autumn.
The evergreen Liam Finn and Scott Grix lead the side out as captain and vice-captain and they have over 20 years experience now playing for Ireland.
Irish born NRL and Super League giant James Hasson leads out an impressive pack that includes youngsters like Brad Singleton, the King brothers and Joe Philbin of Warrington who impressed in the qualifiers, as well as Kyle Amor, Anthony Mullally, Tyrone McCarthy and Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook who bring real quality and experience to the side.
The hooker position sees Michael McIlorum return to the Wolfhounds after a long absence and his direction and aggression will be a huge asset.
Youth is a key part of the squad and players like Liam Kay, Jack Higginson, Ollie Roberts and Will Hope are likely to star for Ireland into the future.
The domestic competition has got a greater involvement this time round and Matty Hadden features again after being involved in 2013 and is selected alongside James Kelly, Casey Dunne and Alan McMahon who have been central to the growth of the game in Ireland. Mikey Russell is also involved in the party and will travel as a reserve.
|1. Liam Finn (C) Wakefield Wildcats
2. Scott Grix (V.C) Wakefield Wildcats
3. James Hasson Wakefield Wildcats
4. Kyle Amor St. Helens
5. Liam Kay Toronto Wolf Pack
6. Will Hope Sheffield Eagles
7. Oliver Roberts Huddersfield Giants
8. Ed Chamberlain Widnes Vikings
9. George King Warrington Wolves
10. Toby King Warrington Wolves
11. Joe Keyes Bradford Bulls
12. Joe Philbin Warrington Wolves
13. Jack Higginson Wigan Warriors
14. Anthony Mullally Leeds Rhinos
15. Tyrone McCarthy Salford City Reds
16. Brad Singleton Leeds Rhinos
17. Micky McIlorum Wigan Warriors
18. Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook St. Helens
19. Api Pewhairangi London Broncos
20. Matty Hadden Rochdale Hornets
21. Shannon McDonnell Camden Rams
22. Casey Dunne Longhorns RL
23. James Kelly Sheffield Eagles
24. Alan McMahon Waterford Vikings
25. Mikey Russell – (Travelling Reserve) – Coventry Bears
Mark Aston – Head Coach
Ged Corcoran – Assistant Coach
Ryan Sheridan – Assistant Coach
Kane Daniels – S&C Coach
Kat Dawson – Physiotherapst
Brian Moore – Kitman
Brett White – RLWC Team Liason Officer
Richard Egan – Team Manager
Andrew Hipsley / Liam West – Team Doctors
Ireland’s pool games are:
· Ireland v Italy, Sunday 29th Oct, Cairns
· Ireland v PNG, Sunday 5th Nov, Port Moresby
· Ireland v Wales, Sunday 12th Nov, Perth
The Irish team are sponsored by McGettigan’s and a super prize is on offer of a holiday to Dubai, including flights and accommodation at the luxurious Bonnington Hotel. Tickets are on sale via This Link